Player's code of Conduct
The success of Rugby has been built on respect and respect is revolving - players respect their officials (coaches, referees & parents). Coaches respect the behavior of their players, parents and officials. Officials respect the behavior of players, coaches and parents.
One of the unique traditions of Rugby is that after the game opposing teams break bread as friends. As such, if we host a game, we provide food for all players at the completion of their games and the same is done when we visit other teams. For this to be successful, respect from all involved - players, coaches, officials and parents is key.
- I am an ambassador of rugby and represent the team I am playing for, Oshkosh Youth Rugby, Wisconsin Youth Rugby, and USA Rugby. As such, I understand that I am expected to demonstrate good and responsible behavior at all times, both on and off the pitch.
- I will not exhibit impolite or antisocial behavior (dangerous play) of any sort that would adversely affect the image of the game as a serious and disciplined endeavor. This includes dirty play, and verbal and physical abuse of teammates, opposing players, coaches, referees, touch judges, spectators and/or support staff.
- I will not, before, during or after a match, threaten or address a referee or touch judge in insulting terms or act in a provocative manner towards teammates, opposing players, coaches, referees, touch judges, spectators and/or supporters.
- I will abide by all rules and regulations applicable to the team imposed by the International Rugby Board, Wisconsin Youth Rugby, USA Rugby, and the local hosts.
- I understand that Oshkosh Youth Rugby is an all-inclusive club that welcomes diversity, and will not make racist, sexist, homophobic, religious or otherwise bigoted jokes or statements.
- I understand that obscene or profane language will not be tolerated and will not use foul language towards, taunt, or disrespect teammates, opposing players, coaches, referees, touch judges, spectators and/or supporters.
- I understand that bullying or harassment of any kind will not be tolerated whether through physical, emotional or digital means in personal or club related communication channels including social media, text messages, etc.
- I will not be critical of teammates and never discuss my teammate's abilities except to encourage good teamwork and thank them for their efforts.
- I will not be under the influence of, possess or use alcoholic beverages or drugs including but not limited to tobacco, vapes, and/or marijuana on OYR’s property or at any event in which I am representing the club including away matches, trips, activities and tournaments.
- I will not bring onto OYR’s property dangerous or unauthorized materials such as explosives, firearms, knives, weapons or other similar items.
- I understand that I am on a team and will be a team player. I will do this by putting my personal goals aside for the betterment of the team.
- I will participate in every game and every practice except for illness, injury, homework or school events. I am expected to be on time for practices and games. If I must miss a game/practice or arrive late, I will contact the team’s head coaches as soon as possible.
- I will work hard for myself and my team.
- I will study hard and understand that school takes precedence over any rugby activity.
- I understand that when I appear in public, at any time, wearing OYR gear, I am expected to uphold these standards of conduct.
- I will respect the laws of the game and within the ‘spirit of the game’. I will not cheat.